Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Some People

Sometimes I want to punch people right in the face.  I don't know if I'm just overly sensitive right now or what but today has been one of those days.  I was doing ok.  I slept until about 11am and then got up to help with the packing and hauling to the storage unit.  I felt bad that R had been working so hard to get things done.  We ran a couple of loads and then decided to go get more bubble wrap and tape at Walmart.  As we were walking into Walmart there were some men out in front wanting people to sign a petition.  "A way to get Washington state to hear your voice."  R stopped to hear what the man had to say.  I kept walking once I noticed that the sign on their table had the reasons for the petition and one of them was "KEEP GUNS AWAY FROM CRAZY PEOPLE".  I was so upset when I walked into the store.  I just kept walking and walking.  When we were leaving I decided that instead of keeping all the bother inside myself I would say something to the men.  I decided I would be really nice but to let them know that what was written on that sign was very offensive to people with mental illness.  We went out and there were some people signing the petition.  I asked one of the men if he was with the group just to make sure I was talking to the right person.  I told him that I thought that the CRAZY part of the sign was not a nice way to advertise what they are trying to get across.  For people with mental illness, like myself, it's a very harsh, mean word.  He said that it was meant to be a joke.  I again stated that for those with mental illness, being called CRAZY isn't a joke.  I said thank you and walked away feeling a little better except that I don't think this man really understood what I was trying to say to him.  I couldn't stop thinking about it and on our next trip to storage, I made my husband drive past and see if the sign still said the same thing.  They were packing up and ready to leave so I didn't get to see the sign and I was really bugged.  I told him I was going to drive by tomorrow and see if they have the sign.  He wanted to know what my "next move" was going to be.  I don't have a next move.  I guess it's just the way I've been feeling lately.  Very vulnerable and touchy.  There I admit it.  I just don't want anyone else saying it to me.  The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment